As climate change has been growing as a big threat to our planet for the years, sustainable development has become the top priority of present times. People are adopting new eco-friendly lifestyles, building sustainable houses, and trying to reduce carbon footprint as much as they can. According to a Retail and Sustainability Survey, around two-thirds of the population do consider environmental sustainability along with cost-effectiveness while buying anything. That’s why many eco-friendly adaptations are also trending in the construction industry including solar power systems, recyclable building material, and rubber roofing.
United Roofing & Exteriors is offering high-quality rubber roofing that is not only environment-friendly but is highly durable, affordable, and aesthetic. Once you get it installed in your house, you are all set for the next 30 to 50 years.
Rubber roofing or specialty roofing might be a new concept for some of you, so we will explain each in more detail so you can make better choices in the future.
As the name suggests, this type of specialty roofing involves the use of rubber from recycled tiles or panels.
Rubber roofs are available in form of rolls and shingles where rolls are like long sheets and slates are like tiles.
One particular feature that makes it distinct from other specialty roofing is its primary manufacturing content that is obtained from tires and other rubber waste. Not only that but all the scraps and pieces, left after manufacturing and installing the roof, are not wasted, instead, they are reused in the factory. Isn’t that impressive?
Moreover, rubber roofing does not contain any contaminants and hence it does not add any chemicals when rainwater runs over it.
Some people may be reluctant towards non-traditional roofing options as they fear if these options won’t look good but that’s not the case. However, Euroshield, which is our supplier makes sure that they design the rubber panels and tiles with such utter perfection that they would exactly look like the real cedar roof, equally appealing and authentic.
Apart from Rubber, many other materials are being used for roofing these days including Metal, Asphalt, Slate, and Shake. However, each type has its own pros and cons.
Now that you know the key features of any good roofing, let’s compare Rubber Roofing to other types of Specialty Roofing available in the market.
Home is your special place and you need to be extremely practical and careful while making decisions related to the construction of the house, its building materials, design layouts, and roofing. Of course, you wouldn’t want to use anything substandard and short lived.
Here we are going to highlight a few key characteristics that you need to consider while choosing a certain roof material.
3. Quality of Material
6. Aesthetics and appearance
7. Energy efficiency
8. Environmental Sustainability
1. Durability: Excellent
2. Affordability: Medium - Rubber roofing has a higher upfront cost but its ease of installation and long life balance the cost.
3. Quality of Material: Extremely resistant to water, hail, wind, rain, and heat. It will not damage by rotting, curling, peeling, cracking, etc.
4. Maintenance: Low, Virtually maintenance-free
5. Warranty: 50+ years
6. Aesthetics & Appearance: Excellent – Euroshield's panels are the exact replica of the traditional cider roofing tiles, that provides an aesthetic appearance to the exterior and interior of the house.
7. Energy efficiency: Good - United Roofing & Exteriors panels help insulate your home more effectively, keeping your attic cool and ultimately reducing energy use in warm and cold climates.
8. Environmental Sustainability: Excellent – Euroshield produces their rubber panels from recycled tires and it is 100 percent recyclable at the end of its life.
1. Durability: Very good
2. Affordability: Medium to high - Metal has a high upfront cost but its long life makes it worthy enough.
3. Quality of Material: Good resistance to wind, rain, and heat but susceptible to hail damage. It doesn’t rot, peel, or crack but expansion and contraction may cause some problems.
4. Maintenance: Medium – It may require repainting. Its denting may need repairs. Rust may affect lower-quality roofs, and loose panels may need fixing after expansion or contraction.
5. Warranty: 30-50+ years
6. Aesthetics & Appearance: Fair - A good range of colors and designs are available but they can cause noise during rain and wind.
7. Energy efficiency: Good - Metal roofs reflect solar radiant heat, which can reduce cooling costs by 10-25 percent.
8. Environmental Sustainability: Good if made from recycled material.
1. Durability: Average – May require replacement of roof after every 10-20 years
2. Affordability: Low - This is one of the cheapest roofing materials in terms of upfront costs but the roof replacement requirement after 10-20 years indirectly increases the lifetime cost.
3. Maintenance: High - Requires at least an annual inspection, with shingle replacements common and recaulking and sealing necessary as the roof ages.
4. Quality of Material:
5. Warranty: Only up to 30 years
6. Aesthetic appeal: Good - Provides a traditional asphalt shingle look but there may be variations in color shading. A limited range is available in colors.
7. Energy efficiency: Average - They are generally excellent at absorbing heat but poor at reflecting it. hence it may make homes quite hot in summer.
8. Environmental sustainability: Poor – Made from oil and other chemicals. Decomposes slowly over hundreds of years in landfills.
1. Durability: Excellent
2. Affordability: High - Slate is one of the most expensive roofing materials on the market.
3. Quality of material: Low water absorption index
4. Maintenance: Medium - The possibility of cracked, chipped or sliding tiles makes the annual inspection necessary. After repairs, variations may result in colors.
5. Warranty: 50+ years
6. Aesthetics & Appearance: Excellent for a traditional look. However, a limited range of colors and styles of roofs are available. Because of the excessive weight of slate, it may not be suitable for all houses.
7. Energy efficiency: Good - Slate absorbs moisture and reflects sunlight.
8. Environmental sustainability: Excellent - 100% natural material. The only downside is the expense of shipping due to its weight.
1. Durability: Average
2. Affordability: High - Shake is one of the highest-cost roofing materials.
3. Quality of the Material: Good resistance to wind and storms
4. Maintenance: Medium to high - Susceptible to mold growth and leaking. It usually requires an inspection every year and maintenance every 2-4 years.
5. Warranty: Average lifespan of 30 years but the standard warranty may only last for five years.
6. Aesthetics & Appearance: Excellent - Provides an enduring rustic appeal if you are looking for a natural wooden look to your roof.
7. Energy efficiency: Good - Provides good air circulation in the house.
8. Eco-friendliness: Good - 100 percent natural material and eco-friendly if purchased from a sustainable supplier.
As evident from the above facts, homeowners must consider these features before making any final decision about the type of roofing they are going to get for their house. Foreseeing the balance of cost, quality, and life of Rubber roofing, it has been the best choice for eco-friendly homes among homeowner.
Yes! As a matter of fact, rubber roofing was initially used for commercial buildings before it became a preferable choice for residential buildings.
United Roofing & Exteriors has successfully installed rubber roofs on commercial roofing properties all over British Columbia, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.
The durability, strength, and long lifespan of rubber roofing makes it befitting for commercial buildings as well.
Of all specialty roofing, rubber roofing is the most eco-friendly option because of:
ü No Chemicals
ü No wasting
ü No fear of damage shortly
United Roofing & Exteriors has a team of experienced professionals, who take care of everything from installation to maintenance, repair, and replacement.
Do you want rubber roofing for your house? Feel free to contact us as we are always here eagerly waiting to serve you.