We're sure you know how essential your roof is to your home. It protects you, your family and your belonging from the elements. But like most things in life, homeowners in Saskatchewan can't accurately predict the exact time they may need a roof replacement. There are sometimes some very obvious signs, but they can be hard to notice before the cold weather sets in. If the signs were not noticed, you might end up needing a roof replacement during the winter months. Now you may be wondering, "can you have your roof replaced during the winter in Saskatchewan?" The roofing experts at United Roofing & Exteriors are here to tell you what you need to know about roof replacements during the harsh Saskatchewan winters. Read on to learn more!
Can A Roof Be Replaced During The Saskatchewan Winter?
Yes, of course! Despite what you may have heard, a roof can be replaced during the sometimes frigid temperatures of a Saskatchewan winter. Winter may not be the most convenient time for a complete roof replacement, but there are some advantages to having it done! But where there are advantages, there are disadvantages. It is essential for Saskatchewan homeowners to understand the pros and cons of having their roofs replaced during the cold winter months.
We've put together a list of the advantages and disadvantages of having your roof replaced during the winter in Saskatchewan. Since asphalt shingles are the most commonly used roofing material on residential roofs, we will be focusing on them.
What are the Advantages of a Roof Replacement in the Winter?
- A roof replacement will help prevent structural issues from worsening and deteriorating further.
- The warmth provided by your home's heating system can help with the adhesion of asphalt shingles.
- Roofing contractors in Saskatchewan tend to be more readily available during the winter.
- There is far less chance of damage to lawns, gardens, and landscaping from equipment.
- Saskatchewan homeowners will have the peace of mind that their roofs will hold up during harsh weather.
- Your energy costs will likely be lower after the replacement.
What are the Disadvantages of a Roof Replacement in the Winter?
- Because asphalt shingles become more brittle in the cold, there is more risk of them breaking or chipping.
- Colder temperatures can affect compressor airflow, and roofing nails may not be entirely driven in.
- Roof valleys are more challenging to reroof in the winter, and shingles may crack if they are bent too far.
- Sealing strips may not adhere properly, which could lead to roof leaks.
- Winter roofing jobs can be more comprehensive as your roof may need snow or ice removal.
- Roof replacement in the winter can take longer because of increased safety risks, such as slippery surfaces.
Should You Replace Your Roof in the Winter?
The most crucial factor in deciding whether or not you should repair or replace your roof in the winter is assessing the consequences of waiting for warmer weather. If your roof is leaking, missing shingles or has damaged flashing, there is likely a sense of urgency, and you should have it repaired or replaced as soon as possible to prevent further deterioration or damage to your home. To ensure your roof repairs or replacement is done correctly and the job goes smoothly, especially during the harsh Saskatchewan winter, homeowners should make sure the roofing company they are dealing with has the experience and know how to replace a roof in the winter, like the expert roofing contractors at United Roofing & Exteriors!
United Roofing & Exteriors Can Help You with Roof Repairs or Replacement During the Saskatchewan Winter.
When Saskatchewan homeowners need a roof replacement or repairs during the winter or any other time of year, United Roofing & Exteriors is your trusted roofing company. Our experienced roofing contractors have extensive experience in residential roof repairs and replacement, including working in the wild winter conditions we experience in Saskatchewan. Our team will work quickly and efficiently and take all the proper safety precautions to ensure your roof is replaced quickly. If you think your roof needs to be replaced, we can help regardless of the weather! Contact us today to find out how United can help keep your home safe and dry this winter!